Lawrence Pond Village
History


Sandwich, incorporated in 1637 and covering an area of 43.61 miles, is located in an area known as the “Upper Cape” which also includes the towns Bourne, Falmouth and Mashpee. The bridges across the Cape Cod Canal leading to all points north and west are approximately 9 miles northwest. Hyannis, the hub of Cape Cod, is approximately 12 miles southeast. The town enjoys shoreline on Cape Cod Bay and the Cape Cod Canal at its northeastern point.

At the western end of the town (and about one mile south of Lawrence Pond) is the Massachusetts Military Reservation. This military complex encompasses 20,000 acres of land in all four towns of the Upper Cape and includes the Camp Edwards Army National Guard and Reserve Training Site, Otis Air Force Base, Veterans Administration National Cemetery of Massachusetts, Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod, and the Cape Cod Air Force radar Station known as PAVE PAWS.

Similar to the rest of Cape Cod, this area was essentially rural in character until fifteen to twenty years ago when the population began growing at the dramatic pace, with 43 percent growth between 1980 and 1986 alone. These figures put Sandwich among the very fastest growing communities in Massachusetts. The U.S. Census Bureau estimated the town’s population at 20, 136 on a year-round basis in 2000, with the summer population exceeding 30,000.

HISTORY
HOME | ABOUT US | DIRECTIONS | TOP | CONTACT US | RATES
Copyright © 2012 Lawrence Pond Village Campground
LPV